Personal Information Protection Policy
of Japan Communications Inc.
Japan Communications Inc. (“the Company”) will comply with laws, regulations and guidelines (including but not limited to “Act on the Protection of Personal Information”, “Telecommunications Business Act” and “Guideline for the Protection of Personal Information in Telecommunications Business”) on handling Personal Information in the telecommunications business and other corporate activities (“the Business Activities”). In addition to that, the Company establishes this Personal Information Protection Policy (this “Policy”) and will comply with the Policy.
1. Name, Address, and a name of representative of the Business Operator Handling Personal Information (Telecommunication Business Operator)
(Name) Japan Communications Inc.
(Address) 4-1-28 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo
(Name of the Representative)
Naohisa Fukuda, Representative Director-President
2. Types of Personal Information
The Company shall handle the Personal Information described as below in the Business Activities.
(1) Personal information on the contracting party (“Customer”) of the telecommunication services (“Company Services”)
① Information which Customer provides for the Company on using Company Services
a) Information on Customer’s identification and contact information (Name, address, date of birth, phone number and email address)
b) Information on Customer’s identity confirmation (Items written in the identity confirmation document)
c) Information on Customer’s payment method (Credit card, bank account number, etc.)
d) Information on Customer’s inquiries (including Comments and Requests)
② Information which the Company acquires through use of Company Services by Customer
a) Information on service usage (communication and data usage history)
b) Information on service environment (Network and Telecom device)
c) Information on service usage fee (billing amount and payment state)
(2) Personal information on the shareholders (Items written in the Shareholders List)
(3) Personal information on Executive officers and Employees (including Recruitment applicants,Interns, Prospective employees, Contract employees, Temporary Employees) (“Officers and Employees”)
(4) Other personal information on the Company’s suppliers, people contacting the Company’s helpdesk etc.
3. Purpose of Usage of Personal Information
(1) Personal information on Customer
① The Company will use personal information on Customer within the scope of the purpose listed below to provide Company Services.
- Identity confirmation
- Qualification confirmation for application
- Delivering SIM cards and other products
- Notice of contracts details and other necessary matters
- Credit management
- Payment invoice and receipt
- Response to problems or incidents of Company Services
- Prevention of illegal contracting, illegal usage, non-payment, and countermeasures therefor
- Response to inquiries
② The Company will use personal information on Customer within the scope of the purpose listed below to promote the sales of Company Services.
- Providing information on Company Services
- Providing information on various campaigns, etc.
- Proposal in response to inquiries
③ The Company will analyze data related to personal information on Customer and use them within the scope of the purpose listed below to provide stable operation of Company Services.
- Network and System operation and support
- Prevention of problems or incidents of Company Services and response to them
④ The Company will analyze data related to personal information on Customer and use them within the scope of the purpose listed below to plan and develop Company Services.
- New service planning and development
- Company Services and customer support improvements
- Sales and usage investigation and analysis
(2) Personal information on the shareholders The Company will use personal information on the shareholders within the scope of the purpose listed below.
- Exercise of rights and execution of obligations under laws and regulations
- Preparation of disclosure materials, etc., under laws and regulations
- Response to inquiries by shareholders
(3) Personal information on Officers and Employees The Company will use personal information on Officers and Employees within the scope of the purpose listed below.
- Selection of applicants for employment and procedures for employment
- Personnel and labor management related to engagement or employment of Officers and Employees
(4) Other personal information The Company will use other personal information within the scope of the purpose listed below.
- Supplier management
- Management of inquiries to the Company’s Helpdesk
- Management of visitor to the Company’s office
4. Sharing personal information with third party
The Company can share personal information on Customer with third parties in the cases listed below within the scope of the purpose prescribed respectively in those items.
① In a case when the fees for Company Services is not being paid even though the payment date has passed, the Company may transfer the claims for the unpaid fees to a third party ("the Assignee”) and can share Customer’s name, address, date of birth, and the amount of unpaid fees, etc. with the Assignee to collect the amount due.
② In a case when requested by an international telecommunication business operator ("the International Operator”) , the Company can share name, address and phone number, etc. of the Customer who is (or is applying to be) a contracting party of the International Operator based on the operator’s Terms and Conditions, with the International Operator.
③ In a case when Customer moves out to other mobile phone operator by Mobile Number Portability (MNP), the Company will share Customer’s name, date of birth, mobile phone number and other MNP related information to the mobile phone operator and the telecommunication business operator which has concluded an interconnection agreement or other relevant contracts with the Company.
④ In a case when Customer uses the third-party-billing dialing function of Company Services, the Company will share Customer’s phone number, etc. with the telecommunication business operator who has contracted with the Company for providing the third-party-billing dialing function.
⑤ In a case when the Company judges the copy of the identity confirmation document provided by Customer needs further confirmation, the Company can share the Customer’s information written in the identity confirmation document with Police and other government entities.
⑥ In a case when emergency call entity (Police department, Fire department, Coast guard) contacts the Company and requests information regarding the Customer who made the emergency call (name and address of the Customer regarding the emergency call), the Company will share specified information with these entities.
⑦ In a case when detecting harmful SMS with Company Services’ “harmful SMS prevention system”, the Company will share the information related to harmful SMS (the harmful SMS sent date/time, phone number used, and contents) with Mobile Phone Operators which have concluded an interconnection agreement or other relevant contracts with the Company and other entities which has alliance with the Mobile Phone Operators in order to take measures for the prevention of harmful SMS.
⑧ In a case when the fees for Company Services is not being paid after contract end date, the Company will exchange personal information of the Customer who has not paid the fees between Mobile Phone Operators and BWA service operators as below. This information includes personal information pertaining to the payment status, etc. of the subject claim obtained by the Company from the Assignee of the subject claim.
> Personal information which will be exchanged
Name/Address/Data of Birth/Gender/phone number before contract cancellation/ contact phone number/current situation of non-payment
> Purpose of exchange
Telecommunication business operators will exchange personal information of the Customer who has not paid the fees even after the contract cancellation among them and utilize the information for application screening in order to prevent unpaid incidents and protect user’s fairness and benefit (Please keep note that the contracting may not be possible depending on the payment condition).
Please refer to TCA (Telecommunications Carriers Association) website for the name of the operators with which the Company will exchange information.
5. The Company’s Safety control measures for personal information
The Company implements countermeasures for information security and other safety control measures to secure the safety of personal information, and prevents illegal access to personal information or loss, corruption, alteration, and leaking of personal information. The Company also will improve the safety control measures immediately if necessity of the improvement is confirmed through occurrence of security accidents, notifications from the persons himself/herself, or the Company’s internal information internationally.
6. Protection of right benefit of the persons himself/herself
(1) Voluntary Suspension of usage
Regarding Personal Information on Customers, in a case when Customer requests to discontinue usage of the personal information, the Company will suspend and discontinue usage of personal information on Customer within the scope of the purpose described in above 3.(1)②, such as providing information by email.
(2) Subcontracting and Operation
Regarding Personal Information on Customers, the Company may subcontract the following operations which is within the scope of the purpose described in above 3.(1)①.
- delivery of products
- management of inquiry email from Customer
- Invoice issuance for corporate customers
(3) Source or method to obtain personal information
Regarding Personal Information on Customers, the Company will obtain personal information on Customer from sources or by methods as below.
① Obtained from Customer (including dealers of the Company or lawyers and other attorneys)
② Obtained from Customer through use of Company Services
③ Obtained from other mobile phone operators or telecommunication business operators who have an interconnection agreement or other agreement with the Company for mobile number portability (MNP) application operations
④ Obtained from mobile phone operators and BWA service operators, who will exchange non-payment related information with the Company
⑤ Obtained through Credit bureau inquiry
⑥ Obtained through inquiry or notification from Government entities, judicial entities, and other public entities
7. Personal information Disclosure, correction, and suspension of use
The Company will accept request about personal information held by the Company, such as notification of purpose of usage, disclosure, correction, deletion, or suspension (“Disclosure Request, etc.”) as below.
1) Method of disclosure request, etc.
① Submit the Company’s prescribed application form (“Application form for Disclosure, etc.”), to “Personal Information Disclosure Request, etc. Desk” through postal mail, fax, or email.
② Please attach one of the following identity confirmation document to the Application form for Disclosure, etc. to enable the Company to confirm applicant’s identity.
a) For requests from persons him/herself, a copy of the drivers license card, my number card (side with photo only), passport, residence list card with photo, health insurance card, residence card/special permanent resident certificate, or residence certificate (without my number)
b) For requests from attorney, identity confirmation document of the persons him/herself and attorney as described above in a), as well as a letter of attorney, including Stamp on the letter and stamp certificate
③ Upon confirmation of applicant’s identity, the Company will response via postal mail, fax, email or other ways which was requested by the applicant. If the method requested by the applicant is highly expensive or difficult, the Company will response via postal mail.
④ Please remember that the response may take up to few days.
2) Acceptance and support desk for Disclosure Request, etc.
① Acceptance and Support desk (Postal mail, Fax, email)
Personal Information Disclosure Request, etc. Desk,
Japan Communications Inc.
Address: 4-1-28 Toranomon Minato-ku Tokyo Toranomon Towers Office
② Support desk (Phone)
03-5776-1700 (Time of operation：11:00-18:00)
3) Fee for Disclosure request, etc.
In case of response by postal mail or fax, the applicant needs to pay 600 yen as fee per request. Please send 600-yen postage stamp or postal money order by postal mail.
「Application Form for Disclosure of Personal Information」
「Application Form for Correction, etc. of Personal Information」
「Application Form for Suspension of Use, etc. of Personal Information」
「Application Form for Suspension of Sharing Personal Information to Third Party」
8. Consultation desk for Personal information handlingPlease contact below support desk for opinions or questions regarding personal information handling by the Company.
Japan Communications Inc. JCI helpdesk
Tel: 03-5776-1700（time of operation：11:00-18:00）
9. Name of authorized personal information protection organization and contact for consultation
The Company is a member of the Telecommunications Personal Information Protection Promotion Center of the Japan Data Communications Association, an authorized personal information protection organization.
If you have any opinions or questions regarding the Company’s handling of personal information, you may contact the following address.